Attractions

Attractions in Qrendi

1. St. Mary’s Parish Church
Built in 1655, and then replaced by a larger church to be built on the site. The larger church was completed in 1712. Local artists have contributed to the decoration of the church.
Contact person: Rev. Mario Mifsud
Telephone: +356 21649395
Opening hours: contact Rev. Mario Milfsud


2. Gnien tal-Kmand (Garden)
Believed to have been built between 1802 and 1809, this garden was constructed because of Sir Alexander Ball’s love of nature. The garden is lined with many types of fruit trees and palm trees.
Contact person: Qrendi Local Council
Telephone: +356 21680404
Email: qrendi.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: by appointment, contact Qrendi Local Council


3. Octagonal Tower
One of Qrendi’s most prominent moments, the tower used to house the captain of the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem (Kaptan Kavallier). In the shape of an octagon, four of its walls stand at 12 feet and 3 inches thick. The tower’s robust buttresses, design, wall thickness and barrel shape and arched ceilings fashioned from huge refined stone blocks, show a clear indication of its age.
Opening hours: private property, but it can be seen from the outside


4. St. Catherine’s Church
Constructed in 1626 by Benedito Camilleri, the facade of this church is “split” into two storeys, by the projection of a horizontal decorative masonry band. The church has only one altar elevated from the tiled floor, and is decorated by a prospect with sculpted angels in stone.
Contact Person: Parish Priest, Mario Misfurd
Telephone: +356 2164 9395
Opening hours: by appointment, contact Parish Priest


5. Qrendi Bocci Club
A club dedicated to the Maltese sport of bowls. A variation of the game boules, the game is played on a smooth surface covered with coarse-grained sand, with teams of three or six players.
Opening hours: contact Qrendi Bocci Club
Telephone: +356 21689782


6. War Memorial
The memorial was erected to honour Qrendi’s war victims. The War Memorial consists of an obelisk supporting a crucifix at its upper part. The Qrendi coat of arms features a British Soldier’s Helmet, flanked by the Malta Flag and a .303 Rifle complete with Bayonet.
Opening hours: public place, which can be visited at any time


7. Tal-Warda Garden
The Tal-Warda recreation garden is a shaded area for both children and adults. The garden is surrounded by mature trees that offer a certain sense of tranquillity. The garden is an area of open-space.
Contact person: Qrendi Local Council
Telephone: +356 21680404
Email: qrendi.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: open space, can be visited at any time


8. Tas Salvatur Church
This church was built in 1658, at the expense of Beneditto Camilleri. The church has one altar. The main and only painting is oval shaped, showing the upper body of Christ the Savior, with his hands protecting the world. In 1999, the church was restored to its original glory. The church is open during daylight hours, so that people can pray in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
Contact person: Qrendi Local Council
Telephone: +356 21680404
Email: qrendi.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: During daylight hours, except Sundays and Public Holidays.


9. Our Lady of Mercy Church
This church was built in the 13th Century and has long been held in great veneration. In 1575, the tal-Hniena was in a bad state, and was deconsecrated by Mgr. Dusina. However, the devotion of the faithful continued unabated and the church was rebuilt in the year 1650 when Dun Gammari Camilleri was parish priest of Qrendi. The tal-Hniena houses works by renowned Maltese artists, many of which bear Bailiff Johann Wolfgang von Guttenberg’s coat of arms.
Contact Person: Parish Priest, Mario Misfurd
Telephone: +356 2164 9395
Opening hours: contact Parish Priest


10. St. Anne Chapel
The Saint Anne Chapel, or Kappella ta’ Sant’ Anna, was built in 1565 by Gianni Schembri. The façade consists of two windows at the sides of the main door and one above. These doors provide natural light to the inside of the church. The main altar is dedicated to the mother of Mary, Sant’Anna and is adorned by two small side altars.
Contact Person: Parish Priest, Mario Misfurd
Telephone: +356 2164 9395
Opening hours: contact Parish Priest


11. Nicolo Comunet Garden
Contact person: Qrendi Local Council
Telephone: +356 21680404
Email: qrendi.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: contact Qrendi Local Council


12. Guttenberg Palace
The Guttenberg Palace served as a fortified residence capable of resisting attacks from raiding pirates and corsairs. Surrounding the palace are downward looking (Sloping) windows at first floor level, situated high above the ground, serving as a means of defence. The palace was built by the Bailiff Johann Wolfgang von Guttenberg, a Knight of the Order of St John from 1669 till his demise on the 4th December 1733. Serving on the Order’s galleys, Guttenberg resided at this palace between voyages.
Opening hours: The Palace is a private residence, so viewing is possible from outside.


Attractions not on the map

1. Hagar Qim and Mnajdra Temples
The temple of Hagar Qim stands on a hilltop overlooking the sea and the surrounding islet of Malta. Excavated in 1839, a number of important artefacts have been uncovered from here. Mnajdra consists of three temples that date back to 3600-3200BC. They are situated on the cliffs of Malta’s south coast and also overlook the isle of Filfla.
Contact person: Heritage Malta
Telephone: +356 22954000
Website: http://www.heritagemalta.org
Opening hours: Winter 1st October – 31st March: 9am – 5pm (Last Admission: 4.30pm)
Summer 1st April – 30th September: 9am – 7pm (Last Admission: 6.30pm)
Closed: 24th – 25th, 31st December, 1st January and Good Friday
Entrance Fees: Joint Admission to Ħaġar Qim Temples and Mnajdra Temples:
Adults (18 – 59 years): €9.00
Youth (12 – 17 years), Senior Citizens (60 years and over),
ISIC Card Holders, EURO<26 Card Holders, ICOM Card Holders, University of Malta and MCAST Students: €6.50
Children (6 -11 years): €4.50
Infants (1 -5 years): Free


2. Il-Maqluba
Il-Maqluba is a quarry like feature formed by a depression in the land. It is filled with Maltese trees and shrubs, including the Gharghar (the Maltese national tree), laurel trees and bamboo cane and ivy. The view of the sinkhole is breathtaking.
Opening hours: public place, which can be visited at any time


3. St. Matthew Church
Construction of this church, dedicated to the martyrdom of Matthew the apostle began in 1674 and was completed in 1682. The main painting inside the church is also dedicated to the martyrdom of St. Matthew the apostle and has been attributed to one of the leading artists of the time, Mattia Pretti.
Contact Person: Parish Priest, Mario Misfurd
Telephone: +356 2164 9395
Opening hours: contact Parish Priest


4. St. Matthew Crypt
St. Matthew’s Crypt is the smaller of the two churches dedicated to the martyrdom of Matthew the apostle. It is located on the edge of the Maqluba dolite and it is believed to be one of the oldest crypts on the island. The first recorded mention of this crypt was by Inquisitor Mgr. Duzzina in his report of his pastoral visit between 1574 and 1575.
Contact Person: Parish Priest, Mario Misfurd
Telephone: +356 2164 9395
Opening hours: contact Parish Priest


5. Guarena Palace
The Palace consists of two stories, with the lower storey being much larger than the one above. The entrance is typical of Maltese house of the time, with its size being relatively small when compared with the palaces and residences of the Order of St. John.
Contact Person: Ms. Amato
Telephone: +356 99490123
Opening hours: by appointment, contact Ms. Amato.


6. Our Lady of Grace Church
This church was built in 1658 by Angelo Spiteri. The façade is very plain and void of any decoration. It consists of two very small windows with kneeling blocks in the front flank of the main entrance, with a smaller window above the entrance providing light inside the church. A small stone crucifix can be found on the top of the façade, as well as two water spouts at each of the church’s sides.
Contact Person: Parish Priest, Mario Misfurd
Telephone: +356 2164 9395
Opening hours: contact Parish Priest


7. St. Katerina Windmill
The St. Katerina Windmill on the outskirts of Qrendi was built by Grandmaster Carafa (1680 – 1690). Almost all of the windmills built in Malta and Gozo were built with the same architectural plan, which combines military preoccupation of the Knights with an efficient use of the wind where they were located.
Contact person: Qrendi Local Council
Telephone: +356 21680404
Email: qrendi.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: private property