Attractions

Attractions in Zurrieq

1. Xarolla Windmill
The windmill was built in 1724 by the Knights of Malta and is still totally functional. The windmill serves as a cultural centre as it still has parts of the original mechanisms and can still grind the wheat.
Address: Triq Sant’Andrija
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: Saturdays and Sundays from 8am till noon or else by appointment.
Entrance Fees: Adults: €3
Students: €1
Children: €1


2. Catacombs
Dating back to approximately the 3rd – 4th Century AD, the catacombs are still not fully excavated, but previous excavation indicates that they served as the catacombs to an early group of Christians who lived in the early centuries of Christian Malta.
Address: Triq Sant’Andrija (next to Xarolla windmill)
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: The Catacombs are an open site; therefore they can be seen at any time.


3. St. Catherine of Alexandria Parish Church
The Church was built between 1632 and 1657. The feast in honour of St. Catherine of Alexandria is celebrated each year on the first Sunday of September. It has great architectural and artistic beauty and carries works of art that include six paintings by Mattia Preti. In 2011, this church was declared a Grade 1 monument.
Address: Misraħ Repubblika
Contact person: Rev. Arch Dun C.Attard
Telephone: +356 21642010
Email: parroccazurrieq@mail.global.net.mt
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday: 6am – 10am


4. The Chapel of St. Andrew
The chapel was built between 1775 and 1784 on the site of an older chapel built in 1482 on the initiative of Toni Zammit. The chapel boasts of a beautiful painting depicting the martyrdom of St.Andrew, a beautiful work of art attributed to Francesco Zahra.
Address: Triq il-Bronja
Opening Hours: Can be opened for groups by appointment
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt


5. The Chapel of St. Bartholomew
The old chapel was built in 1482, however due to the poor state of this chapel; Bishop Balgues deconsecrated it on 24th November, 1658. As a result, it was decided to rebuild this chapel and in 1775, the first stone was laid. This chapel was consecrated in January of 1784 by the Parish Priest, Rev.Guiseppe Agius.
Address: Triq San Bartilmew
Opening Hours: Can be opened for groups by appointment
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt


6. St. Agatha’s Chapel
The chapel was built in 1854 with the seal of Mr. Francesco Grixti and it was blessed on the 27th February 1859 by Vicar General Mgr. Philip Amato. During World War II, the chapel served for the spiritual care of British soldiers stationed in the vicinity.
The chapel has an old painting of St.Agatha and celebrates the feast in her honour on the Sunday nearest to 5th of February, its liturgical feast day.
Address: Triq Hal Far
Opening Hours: Can be opened for groups by appointment
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt


7. The Chapel of St. James
Built in a baroque style, the chapel dates back to 1725. This chapel is decorated with a number of pilasters built in the Ionic style, on which a frieze is present throughout the perimeter of the church. This chapel has three altars and on each one there is a painting decorated with a stone carved frame, a work of art by Paolo Zahra.
Address: Triq il-Kbira
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday 7am-5pm
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt


8. Ħal Millieri
Casal Millieri was first documented in 1419, although this dates back to Roman and possibility prehistoric times. Two chapels still exist at the site. The most interesting feature at the site are the frescos and the rural peaceful surroundings.
Address: Triq Ħal Millieri l/o Żurrieq
Contact person: Din l-Art Ħelwa
Telephone: +356 21225952 / +356 21220358
Email: info@dinlarthelwa.org
Opening hours: First Sunday of the month: 9am- 12pm.


9. Blue Grotto Belvedere
Blue Grotto is a natural arch that drops from the cliff-top to the sea in front of a cave of rugged splendour. It is a popular place for photos. The Blue Grotto can be visited by a 25 minute boat trip in a coloured boat from Wied Zurrieq.
Address: Triq il-Wied
Contact person: Zurrieq Local Council
Telephone: +356 21689111 / +356 21642974
Email: zurrieq.lc@gov.mt
Opening hours: The Belvedere is an open to public site and it can be accessed at any time.